Don’t you just love homemade pretzels? Soft and chewy with the tangy crunch of salt. Make these delicious easy homemade soft pretzels in just 40 minutes! Yum!
I know there are lots of opinions on the “right” toppings for pretzels, too, but, honestly, I like them plain, right from the oven, brushed with a bit of melted butter.
So whether you like them dipped in mustard or cheese sauce or slathered in butter, the most important part, of course, is the pretzel itself. And I have a super easy and quick recipe to make delicious homemade soft pretzels from scratch in about 40 minutes, start to finish!
And if you need a particular reason to make pretzels, April 26th is National Pretzel Day!
Apparently, National Pretzel Day began in 1983, when then-Pennsylvania Rep. Robert S. Walker (R), who loved pretzels, wanted a holiday for his favorite food and declared April 26th to be National Pretzel Day. (source) I think I really like Rep. Walker! 🙂
So, back to my recipe…
A friend of mine shared this recipe with me years ago when we lived in Michigan, and it is still my family’s favorite. Thank you, Connie! The picture I have included is from when we were in Michigan and my kids helped make a batch of pretzels. Don’t judge – they were in elementary school. 🙂 I realized it was before we remodeled our kitchen. Don’t you just love that 80’s mauve counter top? Yeah, I didn’t either… Let me just say I love cropping tools for pictures! lol!
Easy homemade soft pretzels
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 tbsp. yeast
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. all-purpose flour
kosher salt for sprinkling on top
melted butter for topping
2 c. water
2 tbsp. baking soda
- Add the yeast to the warm water in a small bowl or measuring cup. Stir and set aside.
- Grease a large bowl and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the combined yeast and water to the dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly and let rise 30 minutes in the greased bowl.
- Combine the water and baking soda in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- While the water comes to a boil, divide dough into 8 balls on greased cookie sheet.
- Using your hands, roll each ball out into a long rope, about a foot long.
- Bend the rope into a U shape, with the 2 ends facing away from you.
- About 3-4 inches from the ends, twist the 2 pieces together.
- Hold the two ends and fold them down so they lay on the lower part of the U.
- Pinch them gently to attach them to the lower part of the U.
- Carefully dip each pretzel into the brine and then lay them onto another greased cookie sheet.
- Salt the pretzels.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.
- Brush with butter and serve warm.
This recipe makes 8 large pretzels.
These pretzels are so easy to make that getting the kiddos involved is a lot of fun. But, instead of making pretzel circles like my 5-year-old did, here are some other shapes you can make, courtesy of Martha Stewart, including the good old classic twist!
So, give this recipe a try! These easy homemade soft pretzels are very simple to make and nothing tastes better than homemade, fresh from the oven goodies!
P.S. Looking for some other fabulous recipes to try? Get a free copy of my 10 best easy desserts below!